Difference between Nose Lift and Alar Trimming
1. Noselift involves raising the bony bridge and soft tip of the nose while Alar Trimming removes a portion of the sides of the wide nostrils or Ala to reduce it.
2. Noselifting uses implants (Silicone or Goretex) or cartilage to achieve the result while Nose Trimming does not.
3. Noselift alone can be done on a subject. In contrast, It is not recommended to do Trimming as a single procedure. Doing Alarplasty alone may lower the nose tip resulting to the flattening and elongated effect of the nose. This may not be aesthetically appealing.
Exceptions would be for patients with already high bridge and pronounced tip (rarely seen in Asians).
4. When done simultaneously, the implant is inserted first before trimming in order not to over-correct the removal of excess Ala (sides of the nose).
5. Stitch removal for Noselift is on the 7th day while it takes longer for Alarplasty at 12th-14th day.
6. In Alarplasty, you may be limited by your surgeon to smile or open your mouth wide during recovery period as this may disrupt the approximation of the trimmed Ala. This should last for around 3-4 weeks.
7. Minimal flaring of the Ala may not need trimming because doing the Noselift will essentially reduce by a certain degree the sides of the Ala and the size of the nostrils. The shape of he nostrils will also improve.
8. Alar base trimming or Alarplasty is reserved for disproportionately wide Ala or nostrils or subject to the recommendation of your surgeon.
Neu Advanced Aesthetics Center (www.Neu-Aesthetics.com)
Suite 1723 Centuria Medical Makati
Century City, Kalayaan Avenue, Brgy Poblacion, Makati City
Metro Manila, Philippines
Monday to Friday 9am-3pm
+632 793 8747 +63918 985 3668
The Asian Tropics Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Center (www.AsianTropics.com)
Unit 1B Anonas Commercial Complex, Project 3
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Monday to Friday 4pm to 7pm
Saturday 2pm to 7pm
+632 434 1800 +63918 985 3668
Board Certified Cosmetic Surgeon
Fellow, Philippine Society for Cosmetic Surgery
Fellow, Philippine College of Surgeons
Section Head, Cosmetic Surgery, Centuria Medical Makati
+63918 985 3668
Read more POSTS by Dr. Jaafar:
ABOUT COSMETIC SURGERY
ABOUT BREAST ENHANCEMENT
ABOUT NOSE LIFT (RHINOPLASTY)